dimanche, février 08, 2009

"You'll have to excuse me, I'm not at my best...

...I've been gone for a week, I've been drunk since I left
These so-called vacations will soon be my death
I'm so sick from the drink, I need home for a rest

Ah, the sounds of Canadian frosh week. Ironically, I never had a proper Canuck-style frosh week, since I went to the US to start my university education. Anyway, I haven't been drunk for a week or anything, but boy, I've been tired.

I was still trying to recover from my cold today, and although I was actually somewhat productive on the dissertation front (I read a couple of articles), I was mostly still really out of it after everything my body had been through in the past couple of days. I was really groggy, which I tried to fix with a really strong coffee in the morning, which just made me feel oddly manic. That gave me enough energy to do the laundry, but today was a good example of how being more alert (i.e., caffeinated) doesn’t make you more efficient or effective. After finishing with the laundry and lugging it back upstairs, I decided to have a snack of cashews and some Coke Zero (I know I know, but it tastes good here! I think it’s the lack of high fructose corn syrup). I took out a bowl for the cashews, and a glass for the Coke. I poured a handful of cashews into the bowl. Then, I poured a glassful of Coke…into the bowl. With the cashews. And it took me almost 3 full seconds to realize what I had done.

It was not my most dignified moment.

Also, I developed an odd headache during the afternoon, which I first thought was about being over caffeinated, but didn’t go away when I switched to water and took a pain reliever. Oddly enough, the pain went right down into my teeth, as if I had been chewing on metal all last night or something. All of my teeth (or the gums, really) felt tender, and it was hard to chew on anything hard. Really odd…

Aucun commentaire: