jeudi, octobre 23, 2008

Jeff Koons at Versailles

So I had today off, because I was going to be working as a chaperone for a group of UofC students the next day. I decided, then, to head off to Versailles to finally see the Jeff Koons exhibit there. It’s been pretty controversial, since there are those who believe that putting Jeff Koons’s glossy, hyper-expensive, massive-scale pop-art in the context of Versailles’s pearlescent, extravagant, monumental palace sullies French cultural heritage. I say, “Yes, and?”

Anyway, it’s the kind of exhibit that enraptures or infuriates people, and either way everyone felt compelled to take many, many photos of it. I joined in the fun myself, snapping pictures until my camera ran out of juice. I was pretty salty about forgetting to re-charge the battery; the battery is so long-lasting, I forget that I need to recharge it and every once in a while I find myself out at an event with a useless camera. Grr. Anyway, I’m determined to go back one more time with a fully functioning camera. In the meanwhile, here’s some of the pictures I took today. You can find all of them, with commentary, on my Facebook album [LINK] (yes, I’m on Facebook now; don’t rub it in).

By the way, if you ever want to visit Versailles, go on a weekday during the fall. It was wonderfully under-populated by tourists. Sure, there were still tourists everywhere you looked, but I didn’t have to wait in line to buy tickets or get into the building.

4 commentaires:

Humingway a dit…

Well done. You know, it's funny: people talk about Jeff Koons as the epitome of American-ness, but I swear there's something French about his visual aesthetic. Maybe it's because his sculptures remind me of two of the greatest French video characters, Twinsen and Rayman.

Humingway a dit…

In other news, my comments are starting to look like MeFi posts. (YMMV)

Luis-Manuel Garcia a dit…

Ha! Too true. Hyperink every noun.

Anonyme a dit…

RUB RUB RUB RUB RUB (it in).

Oh I'm sorry did you expect to just casually join Facebook and think no one is going to call you on it?

Hahahahahahaha! Welcome to the dark side!