mercredi, mars 21, 2007

Mushroom soup for the soulless

Don't worry mom, I'm just kidding. I just like the sound of that title.

Anyway, following the purchase of the AMAZING 2 kilos of oyster and hedgehog mushrooms yesterday, today was definitely a mushroom soup sort of day. The soup was kind of improvised, but I included a recipe at the bottom anyway, since I liked the results. Anyway, after preparing the soup and eating a huge batch of it along with a veritable mountain of salade frisée, I was too full to eat the delicious filet of tuna I had waiting for me in my fridge. So, with heavy heart, I put the tuna off till tomorrow.

Mushroom Soup as Improvised by Luis

Ingredients

  • an ASSLOAD of mushrooms (in this case, assload = 4 generous handfuls)
  • lots of butter (about 1/2-cup to start and another 1/4 to finish)
  • a couple cups of water and/or stock
  • one onion, sliced (optional but tasty).
  • salt, pepper and/or other spices (go lightly; mushrooms are already delicious

Preparation

Essentially, you sweat the crap out of the mushrooms, add butter to sautee them in their juices, and then add water/stock and blend.

  1. Chop mushrooms into chunky slices and place into pan over low heat. Cover and leave for about 10 minutes
  2. When the mushrooms have given up most of their liquor, turn up the heat, add the onions and butter, and sautee.
  3. Once the mushrooms have been cooked all the way through and the onions have reduced, add about 1 cup of the stock/water and mix. Then, transfer to a saucepan or stockpot and add the remaining stock/water. Simmer over medium heat for a few minutes, adding any spices you'd like
  4. Blend with a wand blender or in a stand mixer.
  5. serve.

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

You can also do it a bit lower cal by decreasing the butter significantly and slowly simmering it on olive or canola oil and then proceeding as before. It works. For added flavour, use veggi stock

LOVE

MOM

Luis-Manuel Garcia a dit…

Thanks, mom! I agree that this recipe can be lightened quite a bit. For the time being, I've convinced myself that butter in France isn't fattening. =]