dimanche, avril 08, 2007

It's not over yet

After the madness that was yesterday/this morning, I crawled into bed and crashed out hard for a long time. However, I couldn't waste my entire day, because that night I had dinner reservations at Au Boeuf Couronné with Sara and DJ. Sara is a colleague and friend of both DJ and I, and she was in town working on a project. This, of course, meant that we needed to go out every night and eat somewhere. DJ and Sara had already eaten out the night before, while I was wrapping things up with Kristy and Iyn, but now I had joined the gastronomic fray.

Au Boeuf Couronné is the last of what used to be a long row of meat-centric restaurants that faced the abbatoirs and meat markets of La Villette. La Villette has now been turned into a large park, filled with museum-like attractions like the cité de la musique or the cité des sciences. Unfortunately, this meant that most of these restaurants lost their easy supply and copious audience, so most of them shut down. Au Boeuf Couronné, however, seems to be doing decent business and maintaining a very well-decorated restaurant. The place overall looks like an upscale bistro.

For appetizers, I took the escargots, while Sara had Os à la Moelle (bone marrow, served with bread) and DJ had something that slips my mind (any thoughts, DJ?). For main dishes, I had a hanger steak done with a bordelaise sauce, while Sara had a strip steak and DJ had a duck breast. By all accounts, all the meat was delicious, although I think we all agreed that the bordelaise sauce that came with my meal took the prize. I can't clearly recall what we had for dessert, which is probably a sign that I need more sleep.

After dinner, we headed over to the Auld Alliance in the 4th arrondissement (Marais) for some fine scotch. By the time we had downed a few of those and a pint of beer each, it was time for us to head home. We walked Sara back to her hotel, then walked back to Châtelet and caught the night bus back to our place.

Aucun commentaire: