mercredi, mars 07, 2007

Franco-Mexican Cuisine

I don't know if I was the first one to think of this, but I'm pretty damn proud of it. You see, a colleague of mine passed on to me a bottle of concentrated mole sauce, smuggled from the USA. I had three chicken thighs sitting in the freezer that needed to be eaten soon. I thought about the very French mushroom-cream chicken that I often make, and realized that I could mix the concetrated mole with crème fraîche to make something very delicious. Add to this the fact that I still had that cocoa-based pasta I bought a few months ago, and it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up.

So I invited DJ over again after work and I made a big pile of mole-cream chicken over cocoa pasta. DJ brought along some fine whiskey and wine (and bread), and we ate like kings. The recipe itself was surprisingly simple. It hardly merits a recipe, but here it is nonetheless. [By the way, I had meant to get a picture of the resulting dish, but I was too hungry and forgot.]

Ingredients

  • 1 jar of Mole (I used a concentrated paste of 125g marked "4 portions")
  • 1 tub of crème fraîche, 500ml
  • 3-4 chicken thighs or breasts
  • Rotini or penne rigate, enough for 4 people

Preparation

  1. Ideally, you should brown the chicken in its own fat, remove the chicken, and then begin making the rest of this recipe in the same saucepan. However, you can skip this step if you're pressed for time or your using frozen chicken.
  2. Prepare the mole as indicated on the container, but half the liquids. In this case, I used a 1 : 1 ratio of water to concentrate, rather than the 2 : 1 ratio indicated on the bottle.
  3. Heat the water and paste gently and mix vigorously until a smooth sauce forms.
  4. Add crème fraîche and mix together. Increase heat to medium and wait for mixture to begin bubbling.
  5. Add chicken, partially cover, and leave on a low simmer for at least an hour. Stir occasionally to pull up any milk solids sticking to the bottom.
  6. The fat will likely separate from the cream during this process, and this will be even more pronounced if you're using a fatty part of the chicken (e.g., thighs). You can either skim some of the fat (but lose tasty fat!) or whisk it back into the emulsion later.
  7. About 15 mins before the chicken is ready, begin to boil pasta in salted water. Drain and toss with a ladleful of the mole-cream sauce to prevent sticking.
  8. Remove from heat. Remove chicken and place to one side. Whisk cream and oil until it returns to a smooth emulsion.
  9. Serve chicken on a bed of pasta. Ladle sauce overtop.

Aucun commentaire: