mercredi, mars 28, 2007

Meatless yet hearty

After a forgettable day at work, I went over to a friend's house to prepare for her the Mispireta family recipe: arroz chaufa (cantonese fried rice, done Peruvian-style). Since she's a vegetarian, I substituted seitan (wheat gluten) for meat, which has worked wonderfully in the past. The results this time were great as far as the consistency of the mock-meat was concerned, but the soy-ginger-brown sugar glaze was too salty and not sweet enough. Also, I've discovered that you need to add a bit of oil to the mixture before reducing it, since the seitan doesn't render any fats in the way that meat does.

Of course, now would be the right time to include a recipe for this fantastic Peruvian fried rice dish (recently mentioned here), but I am determined to give this thing a thourough photoblogging in the manner of the ají de gallina that I did last fall.

So, in other words, you'll just have to wait.

2 commentaires:

Erielle a dit…

This doesn't have anything to do with arroz chaufa, but I wish I was in Paris so I could go on this chocolate adventure.

Luis-Manuel Garcia a dit…

Awesome! By the end of my time here, I'll be able to work as a chocolate guide as well...